Ticino Film Commission

Former Monteforno Steelworks

Giornico

Former Monteforno Steelworks

The Monteforno steelworks in Giornico, Val Leventina, was founded in 1946 to fill a gap in the supply of rods for the construction industry and coincided with the industrial development of Ticino. In its heyday, in the early 70s, it was the canton's largest industrial company, with more than 1000 employees. But following a change of ownership, in the early 80s there was a gradual reduction in staff. The increasing economic losses led to the definitive closure of the historic steelworks in 1994.

Epoch
20th century
Address
Link
Categories
Factory
Historical
Industrial
Industrial archeology